from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of the steroid hormones produced by the adrenal cortex or their synthetic equivalents, such as cortisol and aldosterone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun a steroid compound produced by the adrenal cortex, or a synthetic analog of such a compound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun biochemistry Any of a group of
steroid hormones, secreted by the adrenal cortex, that are involved in a large range of physiologicalsystems.
- noun biochemistry, pharmacology Any of several
synthetichormones of related structure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a steroid hormone produced by the adrenal cortex or synthesized; administered as drugs they reduce swelling and decrease the body's immune response
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.