from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. unpaid labor (especially on roads) due to a feudal lord
- n. labor, especially on roads, in lieu of taxes
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An obligation to perform certain services, as the repair of roads, for the lord or sovereign.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In feudal law, an obligation imposed upon the inhabitants of a district to perform certain services, as the repair of roads, etc., for the sovereign or the feudal lord.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. unpaid labor (as for the maintenance of roads) required by a lord of his vassals in lieu of taxes
Recruits to the cause were extracted from the so-called corvee (the conscripted labour force), which was made up by the fellahin (the peasantry), and though serving in the corvee was an unappealing activity, conscription into the army was even worse.
If you can take your eyes off the handsome lads and their underpants for a sec, I'd like to add that the mandatory corvee demanded of French peasants (mostly to build roads) is considered a major source of discontent leading up to 1789.
If you can take your eyes off the handsome lads and their underpants for a sec, I'd like to add that the mandatory corvee demanded of French peasants mostly to build roads is considered a major source of discontent leading up to 1789.
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference corvee:
The man's one living son, traveling to market, had fallen foul of a Roman patrol and had been impressed into a corvee for road work.
Je ne l'ai malheureusement regardé qu'aujourd'hui midi puisqu'hier j'étais de corvee de papiers peint, non sans mal ...
The canal was indeed built by what amounted to slavery, the forced labour (corvee) of the Egyptian peasants being enforced by the rawhide whip of the overseers (courbash).
Ben quoi on fait c'qu'on peut dans la vie je suis de corvee de paquet obligatoirement dans l'tas ya les miens de cadeau!!
Now the US wants to establish corvee labor in a society where they have no ability to protect the workers.
We pay our slave laborers the corvee, forced work parties