from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various insects of the family Gryllidae, having long antennae and legs adapted for leaping. The males of many species produce a shrill chirping sound by rubbing the front wings together.
- n. Sports An outdoor game played with bats, a ball, and wickets by two teams of 11 players each.
- n. Good sportsmanship and fair conduct: It's not cricket to cheat at cards.
- intransitive v. Sports To play the game of cricket.
- n. A small wooden footstool.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An insect in the order Orthoptera, especially family Gryllidae, that makes a chirping sound by rubbing its wing casings against combs on its hind legs.
- n. A wooden footstool.
- n. A signalling device used by soldiers in hostile territory to identify themselves to a friendly in low visibility conditions
- n. A relatively small area of a roof constructed to divert water from a horizontal intersection of the roof with a chimney, wall, expansion joint or other projection.
- n. Absolute silence; no communication. See crickets.
- n. A game played outdoors with bats and a ball between two teams of eleven, popular in England and many Commonwealth countries.
- n. An act that is fair and sportsmanlike, derived from the sport.
- v. To play the game of cricket.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An orthopterous insect of the genus Gryllus, and allied genera. The males make chirping, musical notes by rubbing together the basal parts of the veins of the front wings.
- n. A low stool.
- n. A game much played in England, and sometimes in America, with a ball, bats, and wickets, the players being arranged in two contesting parties or sides.
- n. A small false roof, or the raising of a portion of a roof, so as to throw off water from behind an obstacle, such as a chimney.
- intransitive v. To play at cricket.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To engage in the game of cricket; play cricket.
- n. Any saltatorial orthopterous insect of the family Gryllidæ (or Achetidæ), or of a group Achetina: sometimes extended to certain species of the related family Locustidæ.
- n. An open-air game played with bats, ball, and wickets, long peculiar to England, but now popular throughout the British empire, and somewhat less so in the United States and elsewhere.
- n. A small, low stool; a footstool.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. play cricket
- n. leaping insect; male makes chirping noises by rubbing the forewings together
- n. a game played with a ball and bat by two teams of 11 players; teams take turns trying to score runs
: P allaboutcricket it actually feels pretty good to be back in jersey, except I only got one hour of sleep courtesy of the cricket living in my wall. allaboutcricket There are too many things to do, but I am just watching the one day cricket Australia vs England. allaboutcricket #cricket England bowl in whitewash decider:
Aren't cricket lovers happy with the fact that the best ones made it???? grow up guys justinspratt wow - vicoria 6 runs for 3 wickets in semi-final for champions league T20 #cricket
That's why T20 is such an exciting format to watch. bhooshan "The only way India can be number 1 (in cricket) is by being ruthless" - Sunil Gavaskar (I agree) #cricket bhooshan 'Little Johnny' is bowling well and surprisingly everyone is back in form.
Up now. craigcoomans Nice to watch what is essentially the old Australian cricket team that was so successful, even if it's only 20/20 thinga87 that was an absolute crack up #cricket love Warnie and Pigeon
Cricket rahulanand1 @delhidreams good. .just came back from a session of gully cricket with ofc friends. .howz the fever and all netcitizen kanpupr must have erupted Zaheer strikes on the first ball #cricket brettspence Damn India are batting well.
Will play Cricket, badminton now. repley Cricket: Nielsen: Lee still a major doubt stuckinseoul England cricket stars celebrate Lord's win by racking up �5k bar bill ... but Freddie Flintoff settles for a pint with the missus daneshzaki Bangladesh wins series; will the Windies board bring back the original team members at least now #cricket intellibitz Cellphone Directory | Cricket TXTM8 Offers High-End Features at ... intellibitz smokes a plethora of cricket intellibitz Cricket: Flintoff on fitness hopes - ClubCall. com:
Afghanistan's rapid rise in cricket is simply stunning
Afghanistan's rapid rise in cricket is simply stunning - USATODAY. com
Contrary to a popular misguided perception, participation in cricket is on the significant increase (including, massively, among women and disabled people) and the number of coaches is in some ways a reflection of this.
And I still maintain cricket is the silliest so-called sport I've ever seen.