from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly Northeastern, Central Atlantic, & Upper Northern U.S. A small, usually ring-shaped or twisted cake of sweet dough fried in deep fat.
- n. Chiefly New England & Pennsylvania An unraised doughnut, usually twisted but also shaped into rings or oblongs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A donut / doughnut in the form of a twisted ring
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of sweet cake cut in strips and curled or twisted, and fried crisp in boiling fat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cake cut from rolled dough made of eggs, butter, sugar, flour, etc., fried to crispness in boiling lard.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small friedcake formed into twisted strips and fried; richer than doughnuts
We lighted dark halls; closed the "cruller" bakeries in tenement-house cellars that had caused the loss of no end of lives, for the crullers were boiled in fat in the early morning hours while the tenants slept, and when the fat was spilled in the fire their peril was awful.
Also, I should thank Orin for informing me about what a French cruller is.
Are you the type who walks by a Dunkin' Donuts shop without so much as a sideways glance -- but find yourself in the Monday morning meeting intensely reaching for a sugar-glazed cruller pastry?
Yesterday morning, after waking up, I put on the previous day's pants and shirt, went to Dunkin' Donuts for a cruller and coffee.
In fact, I doubt I'd have to linger in an L.A. doughnut shop for long to overhear an elderly customer denounce the unmitigated evils of immigration while devouring a delicious Cambodian-made cruller.
The subject was read his rights and declined representation of counsel, but he did ask for a pair of sunglasses and a cruller.
On the other hand, imagine I ask for your reaction to the phrase “french cruller.”
A press credential comes with a daily $20 food allowance at the media center's commissary, and I used it to purchase a restorative late afternoon cruller and ice tea.
Not to mention people making rhubarbs over bars that are cruller and meaner than long johns?
The pastries are an impossible dough-based mouth-watering sugary chocolate blackberry cream cheese confection that look like that, yes, like a multidimensional cruller.