from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dark, sourish bread made from whole, coarsely ground rye.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A German sourdough bread made from rye
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sort of bread, made of unbolted rye, which forms the chief food of the Westphalian peasants. It is acid but nourishing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of coarse bread made from unbolted rye, used especially in Westphalia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bread made of coarse rye flour
German, probably from dialectal, term of abuse : obsolete Pumper, breaking wind (from dialectal pumpern, to break wind, from Middle High German, to knock, frequentative of pumpen, of imitative origin) + German Nickel, goblin; see nickel.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From German Pumpernickel. (Wiktionary)