American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several Eurasian grasses of the genus Lolium, especially L. temulentum or L. perenne. Also called ryegrass.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of Lolium temulentum, one of the few reputed deleterious grasses. It is sometimes frequent in the wheat-fields of Europe, and the grains when ground with the Wheat have been believed to produce narcotic and stupefying effects upon the system. Recent investigations tend to prove this belief to be erroneous. The name was used by the early herbalists to include all kinds of corn-field weeds.
- Like darnel.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) Any grass of the genus Lolium, esp. the Lolium temulentum (bearded darnel), the grains of which have been reputed poisonous. Other species, as Lolium perenne (rye grass or ray grass), and its variety Lolium Italicum (Italian rye grass), are highly esteemed for pasture and for making hay.
- n. weedy annual grass often occurs in grainfields and other cultivated land; seeds sometimes considered poisonous
- Middle English. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Bozo The Neoclown says: linzloo08@161, my new plaything darnel is so uninspired he had to rehash a “yo mama” posting he used against me for you. p-a-t-h-e-t-i-c”
“The good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; but the darnel are the sons of the evil one, (39) and the enemy that sowed them is the Devil.”
“It has been asserted that the darnel is a degenerated kind of wheat; and attempts have been made to give additional significance to our Lord's instructive parable by injecting this thought; there is no scientific warrant for the strained conception, however, and earnest students will not be misled thereby.”
“Milne says the expression in Matthew xiii.v. 25, would have been better translated "darnel" than "tares.”
“(Matthew 13: 25) denotes the weed called "darnel" (Lolium temulentum).”
“There is a kind of darnel, called lolium murinum, because so counterfeiting corn, that even the mice themselves (experience should make them good tasters) are sometimes deceived therewith.”
“Bozo The Neoclown says: the “point” darnel made on the other thread was 1 million is less than 23,000 in repugnanscum math”
“Bozo The Neoclown says: my new plaything supports “opening up oil exploration in the atlantic” to give the concession to Shell and BP. right, darnel?”
“Bozo The Neoclown says: but i followed my new plaything over here where the “spank-a-thon” continues. right, darnel?”
“Bozo The Neoclown says: so, let me recap here. darnel would have no problem giving our oil to BP - british petroleum on Royal Dutch Shell owned by the dutch royal family who would then turn around, sell our own resources back to us and ship the profit overseas. what a joke”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘darnel’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
Some less-than-common words, significant themes, or excellent phrases from my favourite play.
Looking for tweets for darnel.