from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several Eurasian grasses of the genus Lolium, especially L. temulentum or L. perenne. Also called ryegrass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several species of ryegrass, genus Lolium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any grass of the genus Lolium, esp. the Lolium temulentum (bearded darnel), the grains of which have been reputed poisonous. Other species, as Lolium perenne (rye grass or ray grass), and its variety Lolium Italicum (Italian rye grass), are highly esteemed for pasture and for making hay.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of Lolium temulentum, one of the few reputed deleterious grasses.
- Like darnel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. weedy annual grass often occurs in grainfields and other cultivated land; seeds sometimes considered poisonous
Middle English.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)