from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A low-pitched murmuring, grumbling sound.
- n. Flatulence.
- adj. Producing a murmuring or grumbling sound
- adj. flatulent; afflicted by indigestion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Murmuring; grumbling; -- sometimes applied to the rumbling produced by a slight attack of the gripes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A low, rumbling sound; hence, the motion in the bowels produced by flatulence, attended by such a sound; borborygmus.
“Brandy will cure that,” said a third fellow; “a glass of brandy to three glasses of wine prevents the curmurring in the stomach.”
"Ay, ay, Jemmy," said he, "'tis easy for you to bid me get on, but how the deuce can I make Rob Roy's wife speak, with such a _curmurring_ in my guts?"
"Brandy will cure that," said a third fellow; "a glass of brandy to three glasses of wine prevents the curmurring in the stomach."