from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several Eurasian grasses of the genus Lolium, especially L. temulentum or L. perenne. Also called ryegrass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several species of ryegrass, genus Lolium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any grass of the genus Lolium, esp. the Lolium temulentum (bearded darnel), the grains of which have been reputed poisonous. Other species, as Lolium perenne (rye grass or ray grass), and its variety Lolium Italicum (Italian rye grass), are highly esteemed for pasture and for making hay.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of Lolium temulentum, one of the few reputed deleterious grasses.
- Like darnel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. weedy annual grass often occurs in grainfields and other cultivated land; seeds sometimes considered poisonous
Bozo The Neoclown says: linzloo08@161, my new plaything darnel is so uninspired he had to rehash a “yo mama” posting he used against me for you. p-a-t-h-e-t-i-c
The good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; but the darnel are the sons of the evil one, (39) and the enemy that sowed them is the Devil.
It has been asserted that the darnel is a degenerated kind of wheat; and attempts have been made to give additional significance to our Lord's instructive parable by injecting this thought; there is no scientific warrant for the strained conception, however, and earnest students will not be misled thereby.
Milne says the expression in Matthew xiii.v. 25, would have been better translated "darnel" than "tares."
(Matthew 13: 25) denotes the weed called "darnel" (Lolium temulentum).
There is a kind of darnel, called lolium murinum, because so counterfeiting corn, that even the mice themselves (experience should make them good tasters) are sometimes deceived therewith.
Bozo The Neoclown says: the “point” darnel made on the other thread was 1 million is less than 23,000 in repugnanscum math
Bozo The Neoclown says: my new plaything supports “opening up oil exploration in the atlantic” to give the concession to Shell and BP. right, darnel?
Bozo The Neoclown says: but i followed my new plaything over here where the “spank-a-thon” continues. right, darnel?
Bozo The Neoclown says: so, let me recap here. darnel would have no problem giving our oil to BP - british petroleum on Royal Dutch Shell owned by the dutch royal family who would then turn around, sell our own resources back to us and ship the profit overseas. what a joke