from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A plate, diaphragm, or cone in a lamp, furnace, or stove, to bring the flame and gases into intimate contact and improve the combustion.
  • noun A device for causing the nozle of a hydraulic mining machine to move in any desired direction.
  • noun In general, something which deflects.
  • noun See the extract.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Mech.) That which deflects, as a diaphragm in a furnace, or a cone in a lamp (to deflect and mingle air and gases and help combustion).

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Something which deflects something else, especially a stream of fluid or particles.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a device intended to turn aside the flow of something (water or air or smoke etc)


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

deflect +‎ -or



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.