from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun Something that depresses or is used to depress.
  • noun An instrument used to depress a part.
  • noun Any of various muscles that serve to draw down a part of the body.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun One who presses down; an oppressor.
  • noun Pl. depressores (dep-re-sō′ rēz). In anatomy, a muscle that depresses or draws down: as, the depressor anguli oris (the muscle which draws down the corner of the mouth).
  • noun 3. In surgery, an instrument like a curved spatula used for reducing or pushing a protruding part into place.
  • noun In electricity, a device, consisting of a generator or other source of electromotive force, placed in the return circuit of an electric system and having the function of keeping the potential in that circuit approximately the same as that of the ground.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who, or that which, presses down; an oppressor.
  • noun (Anat.) A muscle that depresses or tends to draw down a part.
  • noun (Physiol.) a nerve which lowers the activity of an organ; as, the depressor nerve of the heart.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Anything that depresses
  • noun An instrument used to push something out of the way during an examination
  • noun Any of several muscles that pull down
  • noun Anything that lowers blood pressure

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun any skeletal muscle that draws a body part down
  • noun a device used by physician to press a part down or aside
  • noun any nerve whose activity tends to reduce the activity or tone of the body part it serves


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.