from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Moving downward; descending.
- adj. Proceeding by descent from an ancestor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. descending; going down
- adj. descending from (an ancestor)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Descending; falling; proceeding from an ancestor or source.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Going or coming down; falling; sinking; descending.
- In heraldry, flying downward and showing the back: said of a bird used as a bearing.
- Proceeding or descending from an original, as an ancestor.
- n. See descendant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. going or coming down
- n. a person considered as descended from some ancestor or race
- adj. proceeding by descent from an ancestor
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I am also a Blood descendent from the Lumbee Tribe, being a
We showed how the terms used to name marriage have varied in descendent Ruvu communities, yet each of them has origins in antecedent Bantu root words that meant "to marry," "to take/receive," and "to choose."
My husband Scott and I joke that he is such a physically robust child, he is our wee viking, a clear descendent from the Danish side of my family.
As defined as a descendent of people who were captured by their own people and sold to Arab slavers and transported across the Atlantic in holds of ships, in chains, to be auctioned off in the United States?
When displaying a shared menu, the menu for the active leaf (that is, the descendent window that has input focus) is displayed in the top of the container, and no other menus are displayed in that container (not limited to immediate children) - "take all" mechanism.
Perfumer Daniela Andrier describes the scent as a "descendent" of Prada's Exclusive Scent No. 4, Fleur d'Oranger and the house's popular
To me, the most important work in metrics-based viral marketing came from these companies below - I've listed the companies along with "descendent" startups who took the culture, playbook, and to build the next group of viral companies
(If you'll permit me a moment of gentle absurdism: It strikes me that this is the 21st Century 'folk process' in action - a 'cyber tradition', no less - wherein 'descendent' of field recorder passes material BACK to original performer 40 years after ...)
The government should offer to send everyone who is the descendent of slaves back to West Africa.
Some people just assumed the slave descendent title to play little power head games.