from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Inclining or moving upward; ascending or rising.
- adjective Dominant in position or influence; superior.
- noun The position or state of being dominant or in control.
- noun In astrology, the point of the ecliptic or the sign of the zodiac that rises in the east at the time of a person's birth or other event.
- noun An ancestor.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Proceeding upward; rising; mounting.
- Superior; predominant; surpassing: as, “an ascendant spirit over him,” South.
- In astrology, rising over the horizon, or nearly so.
- In botany, same as
- In heraldry, rising or issuing upward (the reverse of issuant): as, rays of the sun ascendant from the bottom of the shield, from a fesse, etc.
- noun In astrology, the point of the ecliptic or the sign of the zodiac that is situated on the eastern horizon at any particular moment, as at the moment of birth or of the propounding of any question; the horoscope.
- noun Superiority or commanding influence; predominance: especially in the phrase to gain the ascendant over one.
- noun An ancestor, or one who precedes in genealogy or degrees of kindred: opposed to descendant.
- noun In architecture, one of the two sides or vertical members of the chambranle of a door or window.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun rare Ascent; height; elevation.
- noun (Astrol.) The horoscope, or that degree of the ecliptic which rises above the horizon at the moment of one's birth; supposed to have a commanding influence on a person's life and fortune.
- noun Superiority, or commanding influence; ascendency.
- noun An ancestor, or one who precedes in genealogy or degrees of kindred; a relative in the ascending line; a progenitor; -- opposed to
- adjective Rising toward the zenith; above the horizon.
- adjective Rising; ascending.
- adjective Superior; surpassing; ruling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Rising, moving upward.
- adjective Surpassing or controlling.
- noun Being in control.
- noun An ancestor (antonym of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun position or state of being dominant or in control
- noun someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
- adjective tending or directed upward
- adjective most powerful or important or influential
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
MBSS says: pure sophistry and wordplay. in fact it seems to me that making property rights ascendant is a symptom of the type of soul sickness where one places more importance on things as opposed to people. this strain of sickness can be found among libertarians, and your average, everyday sociopath republican.
An urban political climate in which the politics of victimization and outrage are ascendant is one that demeans the great freedoms and opportunities we all enjoy.
Pair indifference to risk aversion did not last, and finally broke under 87.00 static area, also the short term ascendant trend line that was guiding price action in the hourly hart.
Having broken a short term ascendant trend line, pair has turned south under 1.5400: indicators remain slightly bearish while price is under 20 SMA that lost previous bullish momentum and turned flat. 4 hours charts show more clearly bearish signs coming from indicators, supporting the bias ahead of US opening; 1.5260/80 area should be key as only holding above that level, the midterm bullish trend will remain intact.
Pair continued rise extends after Nikkei positive opening, testing 86.00 area, also roof of a short term ascendant channel clear in the hourly chart.
Some short covering after pair managed to regain the 87.20 level prompted a recovery in the cross, that reached 87.60 zone before retreating slightly back; hourly indicators are heading back south, as well as 4 hours ones, suggesting the upside will remain limited; to the downside, a short term ascendant trend line will be key as only a break under 86.70/80 support area should confirm a new leg down in the cross
Still inside past day's range, pair is entering the Asian session close to key 92.80/93.00 support level, tested several times in the past two days; a short term ascendant trend line in the same area, should also act as support, thus a break under mentioned 92.80, likely trigger a fast rally to 92.50 weekly low.
Supports lie at 95.50 zone, 95.20 and then 94.80, where we have a short term ascendant trend line.
At my nativity, my ascendant was the watery sign of Scorpio.
"At my Nativity," writes Browne in Religio Medici, "my ascendant was the water signe of Scorpius, I was borne in the Planetary hour of Saturn, and I think I have a piece of that Leaden Planet in me."