from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The condition or fact of being dominant.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Rule; control; authority; ascendancy.
- noun In biology, the visible manifestation by a cross-bred organism and by some of its descendants of one or two mutually antagonistic parental characters to the exclusion of the other.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Predominance; ascendency; authority.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The state of being
dominant; of prime importance; supremacy.
- noun Being in a position of
power, authorityor ascendancyover others.
- noun The superior development or preference for one side of the body or of one of a pair of organs; such as being right-handed.
- noun The property of a
genesuch that it supresses the expression of its allele.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the organic phenomenon in which one of a pair of alleles present in a genotype is expressed in the phenotype and the other allele of the pair is not
- noun superior development of one side of the body
- noun the state that exists when one person or group has power over another
- noun the power or right to give orders or make decisions
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Their complaints have centred on under-representation and what they called the dominance of the Iranian-backed Shia.
Through systematic replacement of pride and dignity with guilt and insecurity, long term dominance is maintained.
Ruderman wants to "cement" what she calls her "dominance" on the money front.
Their complaints have centred on under-representation and what they called the dominance of the Iranian-backed
We still have not figured out how to relate to a global economy in which our dominance is inevitably going to be reduced; we have made very little progress in addressing the ever-more pressing problem of global climate change; and the increasing ethnic and cultural diversity of the country is creating tensions that cry out for innovative approaches.
Success today won't guarantee long-term dominance.
Anyone who thinks that non-Whites will favor dropping AA policies upon gaining demographic dominance is delusional. elliott
Firstly, the era of North American and European scientific dominance is ending, with fundamental implications not just for the global economy but also geopolitics.
But alphas can also be created - as Riley says in Branded, dominance is fluid.
Looking back, it seems like the unity demonstrated by Africans as they fought against colonialism and imperialistic dominance is no longer there.