from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being independent.
- n. Archaic Sufficient income for comfortable self-support; a competence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or quality of being independent; freedom from dependence; exemption from reliance on, or control by others; self-subsistence or maintenance; direction of one's own affairs without interference.
- n. The state of having sufficient means for a comfortable livelihood.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being independent; freedom from dependence; exemption from reliance on, or control by, others; self-subsistence or maintenance; direction of one's own affairs without interference.
- n. Sufficient means for a comfortable livelihood.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being independent; exemption from dependence upon another or others, or from another's control; self-support or self-government.
- n. That which renders one independent; property or income sufficient to make one independent of others; a competency.
- n. In botany, the abnormal separation of organs or parts which are usually united.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. freedom from control or influence of another or others
- n. the successful ending of the American Revolution
- n. a city in western Missouri; the beginning of the Santa Fe Trail
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Surely, on June 12 they will launch mobilizations shouting for "real independence from US imperialism" while the NPA will issue statements swearing to continue the armed struggle to attain ` real independence� from American control.
The use of the term independence has been a bone of contention in Plaid Cymru for decades.
To gain independence is not easy as it seems, we have to sacrifice and fight till end.
Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British?
If we DO have another vessel, than the idea of keeping the Shuttle to maintain independence is even more preposterous since we can do that without it.
His predecessor, Sukarno, had helped Indonesia win independence from the Dutch and was trying to balance the right with the left in Indonesian politics.
A second association involves attempts by the caliphate to gain independence from the Seljuks.
Corsica was attempting to win independence from the Italian state of Genoa.
Freeway was asked how, between his label independence and the Internet age, his fan relationships have changed.
Some ethnic groups may use the word "independence" in their organization's name.