from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Devotion, especially excessive or undiscriminating devotion, to the interests or culture of a particular nation-state.
- noun The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently rather than collectively, emphasizing national rather than international goals.
- noun The belief that a particular cultural or ethnic group constitutes a distinct people deserving of political self-determination.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun National spirit or aspirations; devotion to the nation; desire for national unity, independence, or prosperity.
- noun Specifically, in Ireland, the political program of the party that agitates for more or less complete separation from Great Britain.
- noun An idiom or a phrase peculiar to a mation; a national trait or peculiarity.
- noun The conduct of all business by the public for the benefit of the public; the substitution of public for private control of all business.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The state of being national; national attachment; nationality.
- noun An idiom, trait, or character peculiar to any nation.
- noun National independence; the principles of the Nationalists.
- noun A devotion to one's country; patriotism
- noun The policy of advocating the independence of one's country.
- noun The policy of advocating the interests of one's own country exclusively, regardless of effects of a country's actions on other countries.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Patriotism; the idea of supporting one's country and culture.
- noun Support for the creation of a sovereign
nation(which does not currently exist).
Jingoism; the support of one nation's interests to the exclusion of others; the hatred of other nations.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the doctrine that nations should act independently (rather than collectively) to attain their goals
- noun the doctrine that your national culture and interests are superior to any other
- noun the aspiration for national independence felt by people under foreign domination
- noun love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
national + -ism
Sorry, no example sentences found.