from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A distinctive doctrine, system, or theory: "Formalism, by being an 'ism,' kills form by hugging it to death” ( Peter Viereck).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A belief that can be described by a word ending in -ism.
- n. Specifically, a form of discrimination, such as racism or sexism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A doctrine or theory; especially, a wild or visionary theory.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A doctrine, theory, system, or practice having a distinctive character or relation: chiefly used in disparagement: as, this is the age of isms; to set up an ism.
- n. A suffix implying the practice, system, doctrine, theory, principle, or abstract idea of that which is signified or implied by the word to which it is subjoined: as, dogmatism, spiritualism, socialism, Atticism, Americanism, Gallicism, terrorism, vandalism, republicanism, Mormonism, being especially common in nouns so formed from names of persons and designating theories, as Benthamism, Comtism, Darwinism, etc., or theories associated with practice, especially in words of temporary use, as Cæsarism, Jacksonism, Grantism, etc., such temporary words being formed as occasion requires, in unlimited numbers. Such words are usually accompanied by a noun of the agent in -ist, and an adj. in -istic, and often by a verb in -ize. See these suffixes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school
I am shocked by the prejudices this camapaign has brought out from "under the jAmerican bed" and it seems the strongest "ism" is sexism.
As the use of the term ism more clearly defines Mao’s contribution than the term “thought”, many parties in India and the world too switched to ‘ism’.
The use of the term ism is more scientific than that of “thought” and more aptly defines Mao’s contribution to proletarian theory; and just because the then CPC used “thought”, and there was no use of the term Maoism during Mao’s lifetime as mentioned by Biswas, does not mean that we should mechanically copy what was done then.
My favorite Randy-ism is that the opposition is all being orchestrated by Westsidaz and downtown types.
Do you feel blatant babe-ism is a problem in the world of deer hunting tv?
As I said before pure anything-ism is a bad thing.
Like Randy, who noticed that ‘Laffer curve-ism is still alive in well in the best circles of the conservative elite,’ I find the idea that conservatives know more about economics than some other group hilarious.
SOCIALISM, COMMUNISM, FACISM – which ism is it today?
In my concerted effort to learn more about my new cellphone, I am left wondering why iPhone-ism is so hard to obtain in the world of electronic consumer gadgets.
This unspoken piece of down-home Untouchable-ism is the great un-equalizer for us as a nation.