from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The quality or condition of being supreme.
- noun Supreme power or authority.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The state of being supreme, or in the highest station of power; also, highest authority or power.
- noun An English statute of 1558–9 (1 Eliz., c. 1) vesting spiritual authority in the crown, to the exclusion of all foreign jurisdiction.
- noun Synonyms Predominance, etc. (sec priority), sovereignty, domination, mastery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The state of being supreme, or in the highest station of power; highest or supreme authority or power.
- noun [Eng.] an oath which acknowledges the supremacy of the sovereign in spiritual affairs, and renounced or abjures the supremacy of the pope in ecclesiastical or temporal affairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The quality of being
Powerover all others.
- noun When used with a designation for a particular group, the assertion that the group in question is superior to or should rule over others.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun power to dominate or defeat
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word supremacy.
"The very realm where life strives to assert supremacy" is of course the realm of art, and its acts of asserting "supremacy" -- of affirming and extending the reach of experience itself -- constitute the most meaningful "truth" we can discover.
The novel deals with the real Jason Bourne and his attempt to regain "supremacy".
More Sequels: Fourth Jason Bourne Film on Track for 2010 « FirstShowing.net
If the cost of air supremacy is not paid in dollars, it may be paid in blood.
The corporatist mentality no longer even has the empirical support that buttressed Berle's confidence in the power and long-term supremacy of large corporations.
I think your earlier focus on parliamentary versus judicial supremacy is (correct but) off themark.
The Volokh Conspiracy » Canadian University Restricting Graphic Posters That Compare Abortion to Genocide
Air supremacy is what enables us to send an elaborate fleet of machinery caterwauling over a targeted nation, such as Afghanistan or Iraq: the orchestrating AWACS (“Airborne Warning and Control System,” the flying surveillance-and-command center); precision bombers; attack planes, helicopters, and drones; ground support; rescue choppers; and the great flying tankers that keep them all fueled.
In the Clerk's view, this supremacy is exercised, inter alia, through parliamentary committees.
Catholics will tell you that one of the proofs of Petrine and Papal supremacy is that Rome is the only patriarchate never to fall into heresy.
If the struggle for commercial supremacy is profitable, continue it.
A perpetual democratic supremacy is at risk because … they have a broad coalition?
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.