from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Two; twice; double: dichromatic.
- Containing two atoms, radicals, or groups: dichloride.
- Variant of dia-.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Meaning two, twice, or double.
- An occasionally used form of dis-.
- A form of dia- before a vowel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A prefix, signifying twofold, double, twice.
I think pragmatically the politics are such that we would be wise to resist grants and/or contracts directly to ACORN, Inc. but try and either set up separate corporations … or use existing corporations … that are less overtly moving the money di- rectly into ACORN, Inc., though in truth it would be going there in other ways.
The aroma of asafoetida is due to a complex mixture of sulfur compounds, a dozen identical with volatiles in the onion family, and a number of less common di-, tri-, and tetrasulfides.