from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Unfavorable opinion or regard; disapproval.
- n. The condition of being regarded with disapproval.
- transitive v. To view or treat with dislike or disapproval.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of disfavour.
- v. Alternative spelling of disfavour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Want of favor of favorable regard; disesteem; disregard.
- n. The state of not being in favor; a being under the displeasure of some one; state of unacceptableness.
- n. An unkindness; a disobliging act.
- transitive v. To withhold or withdraw favor from; to regard with disesteem; to show disapprobation of; to discountenance.
- transitive v. To injure the form or looks of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Unfavorable regard; slight displeasure; discountenance; disesteem; disparagement: as, the conduct of the minister incurred the disfavor of his sovereign; to speak in one's disfavor.
- n. Want of favor; the state of being regarded unfavorably: as, to be in disfavor at court.
- n. An act of disregard, dislike, or unkindness.
- n. Synonyms Disfavor, Disgrace, etc. See odium.
- To withdraw or withhold favor, friendship, or support from; check or oppose by disapprobation; discountenance.
- To mar; blemish; disfigure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an inclination to withhold approval from some person or group
- n. the state of being out of favor
- v. put at a disadvantage; hinder, harm
Sorry, no etymologies found.
You mean Obama's War is in disfavor with the Democrats?
After all, Gregg Allman, the last of the Allman brothers, is in disfavor in the world of rock for testifying against his former road manager, Scooter Herring, in a cocaine case.
This entire society is geared towards males for a reason:: Because the gods hold the males in disfavor and want them distracted by all the trappings this society has to offer, ensuring they fail.
(Set a goal of empathy and compassion for all, for we are all disfavored:::: Other people's disfavor is manifested in their particular way, just as your disfavor is manifested in your particular way.)
The word 'senior' is in disfavor; the folks at AARP often use the term 'grown-up' to refer to our most tenured citizens.
Old line companies that just make money year after year are in disfavor and the stocks do poorly.
(Set a goal of empathy and compassion for all, for we are all disfavored:::: Other people’s disfavor is manifested in their particular way, just as your disfavfor is manifested in your particular way.
(Set a goal of empathy and compassion for all, for we are all disfavored:::: Other people’s disfavor is manifested in their particular way, just as your disfavfor is manifested in your particular way.)
They earn their livlihood capitalizing on another’s disfavor, knowing disfavor is why they are experiencing problems.
Some compensation was paid to the Church, but on the instructions of Napoleon III, himself an anti-cleric, the Church remained in disfavor.