from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The fact or quality of being diverse; difference.
- n. A point or respect in which things differ.
- n. Variety or multiformity: "Charles Darwin saw in the diversity of species the principles of evolution that operated to generate the species: variation, competition and selection” ( Scientific American).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being diverse or different; difference or unlikeness.
- n. A variety; divers types or examples.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A state of difference; dissimilitude; unlikeness.
- n. Multiplicity of difference; multiformity; variety.
- n. Variegation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fact of difference between two or more things or kinds; essential difference; variety; separateness: as, the diversity in unity of the true church; the diversity of objects in a landscape.
- n. That in which two or more things differ; a difference; a distinction: as, diversities of opinion.
- n. Variegation; diversification.
- n. Synonyms Dissimilarity, etc. See difference.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the condition or result of being changeable
- n. noticeable heterogeneity
Sorry, no etymologies found.
When the multiculturalists use the word diversity they assume that immigrants will somehow maintain their traditional culture within the Western way of life and the Western value system, like an exotic exhibit of primitive carving in a smart new museum.
The term diversity became popular in American culture during the 70s when the grandchildren of immigrants wanted to learn about their ethnic heritage.
How can we define the term diversity for our library?
But this diversity is a phenomenon that developed slowly and over time.
The two differ in everything from their fashion preferences to their backgrounds to their personalities, but for these two edgy mothers, their diversity is their blessing and advantage in making a provocative shopping experience, the Popsy experience.
Howard goes, Man, now that's what I call diversity, right?
Moreover, this papers over the real problem for our long-term diversity, which is the very poor education many minority groups receive in the inner cities.
When we hear the word diversity, we typically think of racial and gender differences.
Canadian society allows for diversity, and in the evolution of our national aims this diversity is a central feature.
Yet this diversity is a source of physical enrichment, and a source of pride to us who belong to that Empire.