from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A section of seats in a theater or opera house, usually the first tier above the orchestra.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a gallery in a theater, generally the one containing the prominent and more expensive seats.
- A gallery or balcony in a theater, generally the first above the floor, in which originally dress clothes were customarily worn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A portion of a theater, concert-room, or other place of entertainment, originally set apart for spectators or an audience in evening dress, but now generally used indiscriminately: in theaters, usually the first gallery or circle above the floor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a curved section or tier of seats in a hall or theater or opera house; usually the first tier above the orchestra
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.