from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun Any earthy white or cream-colored paste used as a slip in coating naturally colored pottery, in order to mask or tone down its coarser and less agreeable tint.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A white or colored clay slip coating applied to a ceramic body to give it decorative color or improved texture.
  • noun A clay slip which is colored with metal oxides or stains, used for coating the surface of a pot either before or after bisque firing.


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

French engobe, see en-, gober.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Some schooling’s required by laws

    For each one and every because

    It’s there they enrobe

    Our clay in engobe

    To hide all the natural flaws.

    February 4, 2019