from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A group or set of nine.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The number nine; a system of nine objects; especially, in mathematics, a system of nine points common to different plane cubic curves, or a system of nine lines common to cubic curves.
- noun One of the divisions of Porphyry's collection of the doctrines of Plotinus: so named from the fact that each of the six divisions contains nine books.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The number nine or a group of nine.
- noun the title given to the works of the philosopher Plotinus, published by his pupil Porphyry; -- so called because each of the six books into which it is divided contains nine chapters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The number
- noun Any
systemor groupingcontaining nine objects.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the cardinal number that is the sum of eight and one
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
And NINE, or the ennead, also, being the multiple of
A similar attempt in favour of Re and his ennead was perhaps made by the Memphite kings.
To this first ennead, of which Tûm (later supplanted by Re) appears as the head, two others were added, the first of which began with Horus, as son of Osiris and Isis.
Romans, who made the last day of _the first ennead_ to be also the first day _of the second_.
In an episode near and dear to this writer's heart, we welcome Cannibal Corpse bassist Alex Webster and Order of ennead bassist Scott Patrick for a special Death Metal episode of the Skull Sessions!