from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To use equivocal language intentionally.
- intransitive v. To avoid making an explicit statement. See Synonyms at lie2.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To use words of equivocal or doubtful signification; to express one's opinions in terms which admit of different senses, with intent to deceive; to use ambiguous expressions with a view to mislead; as, to equivocate is the work of duplicity.
- v. To render equivocal or ambiguous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To use words of equivocal or doubtful signification; to express one's opinions in terms which admit of different senses, with intent to deceive; to use ambiguous expressions with a view to mislead.
- transitive v. To render equivocal or ambiguous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To use words of a doubtful signification; express one's opinions in terms which admit of different interpretations; specifically, to use ambiguous expressions with a view to mislead; prevaricate.
- To render equivocal; render false or lying.
- Having a double signification.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be deliberately ambiguous or unclear in order to mislead or withhold information
The safe bet is that Democrats will again equivocate to avoid what would, by necessity, be the impeachment of the Vice President.
There is also another meaning of the word equivocate in popular usage.
If I had stuck with the word all and given Vorster a little room to equivocate, I might have left the diplomats a little happier and given Vorster less chance to demagogue the event for home consumption.
First, you equivocate over warming in the past and contemporary warming; the second is the “complex question” form in which you lowball your estimates at the end.
Likewise equivocate AbsoluteWriters Water Cooler for info as good as inspiration.
"Bathers have been suggested to equivocate a H2O from Wednesday in to a weekend."
Some of his unfamiliar travels competence have been entirely motivated by a search for amicable progress, nonetheless his multiform hospitalizations abroad do raise a possibility which he hoped to equivocate broadside about his illness.
In on foot after a suggestion you contingency equivocate all haste.
I would equivocate this netbook at all costs - not even value $100.
Raised beds can be accessed from all sides, to illustrate eliminating a need to constantly have to equivocate treading upon crops or seedlings.