from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Animals, especially the animals of a particular region or period, considered as a group.
- n. A catalog of the animals of a specific region or period.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. animals considered as a group; especially those of a particular country, region, time, etc.
- n. a book, cataloguing the animals of a country etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The animals of any given area or epoch
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The total of the animal life of a given region or period; the sum of the animals living in a given area or time: a term corresponding to flora in respect of plants: as, the fauna of America; a fossil fauna; the recent fauna; the land and water faunæ of the globe.
- n. A treatise upon the animals of any geographical area or geological period.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. all the animal life in a particular region or period
- n. a living organism characterized by voluntary movement
To be noted among the fauna is the endemic venado de páramo (Mazana americana carrikeri), and the león colorado (Felis concolor bangsi).
"The fact that there isn't living fauna is a signal that something happened to these sites and these sediments," Joye said in a phone interview Friday.
The list of endangered or near extinct fauna is extensive.
In south China, the AiluropodaStegodon fauna is a very general one and includes a relatively stable suite of genera that apparently persisted for long periods of time.
The fauna is fairly typical of West African forests and the park contains 47 of the 54 species of large mammal known to occur in Guinean rain forest including five threatened species.
The fauna is typically Amazonian with many species reaching the western limit of their distribution.
The park is rich in fauna and includes 68 species of mammals, 422 of birds, 38 of reptiles, and 18 of amphibians, a large number of which are threatened or vulnerable.
The fauna is also very diverse with a high occurrence of endemism.
I've got a whole fauna from the Bluffport Marl (Demopolis Chalk) of Sumter County, Alabama waiting to be prepared and described (including a large marine turtle and the youngest Cretaceous bird from Alabama).
The Fernandezian insect fauna is small as well, and is notably lacking species usually dedicated to floral visits.