from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A thin frame in a printing press that holds the sheet of paper in position and acts as a mask.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The light frame which holds the sheet of paper to the tympan in printing.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In printing, a thin framework of iron hinged to the top of the tympan of a hand-press.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Each page in the press takes a brisk hit.

    The printer then quickly must whisk it

    (A dextrous winkle,

    No tearing or wrinkle)

    From out between tympan and frisket.

    March 2, 2014

  • This word was chosen as Wordnik word of the day.

    November 11, 2009