from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A cleaving tool having a heavy blade set at right angles to the handle.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a cleaving tool for splitting cask staves and shingles from the block

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A dirty woman; a slattern; a frow.
  • n. An iron cleaver or splitting tool; a frow.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. See frow.


Earlier frower, possibly from froward, turned away (of the handle).
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "At one end of the village, the old Trakt crossed a small river called the Esaulovka on an ancient ruined bridge. Its gray wooden crossbeams supported the ricketiest of planking; the planks were sawn lumber but the beams showed only the marks of a bladed tool like a froe or an adze."
    Travels in Siberia by Ian Frazier, p 260

    February 18, 2011

  • Usage on twibil.

    January 19, 2010

  • A metal splitting blade with a handle attached at right angles to the blade. Used with a maul.

    November 20, 2007