from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A slave or convict forced to ply an oar of a galley.
- noun A person assigned to perform tedious or menial tasks; a drudge.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A person condemned for a crime to work at the oar on board a galley.
- noun A compositor, jocosely regarded as bound to the “galley.”
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
slavewho rowsin a galley.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a laborer who is obliged to do menial work
- noun a slave condemned to row in a galley
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.