from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A low leap of a horse in which all four feet leave the ground.
- n. A leaping or gamboling movement.
- n. Either of a pair of protective leather gaiters attached to a saddle.
- n. A rider's legging.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Either of a pair of protective leather gaiters on a saddle
- n. gambade (leaping movement)
We dance here in Apia a most fearful and wonderful quadrille, I don’t know where the devil they fished it from; but it is rackety and prancing and embraceatory beyond words; perhaps it is best defined in Haggard’s expression of a gambado.
He in whose favour the abduction is to be made was seen going out the same day spangled and smart, contrary to his usual fashion, making a gambado towards Saint-Germain-en-Laye with four carriages and four to meet the nymph. "