from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To drop from a high place upon sharp stakes or hooks as a punishment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To drop from a high place upon sharp stakes or hooks, as the Turks dropped malefactors, by way of punishment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To put to death by letting fall from a height upon hooks or sharp stakes, or by hanging on a hook thrust between the ribs or through the pectoral muscles, as is or has been done with malefactors in Oriental countries.
- n. The punishment or torture of ganching.
- To make a snatch or snap at anything with open jaws, as a dog.
- n. A snatch at anything with open jaws; a bite.
Compare French ganche, also Spanish and Portuguese gancho hook, Italian gancio. (Wiktionary)
We headed up the line, caught Fergal, grabbed him by the jacket, and trailed the useless ganch after us.
-- Take him away; ganch him , impale him, rid the world of such a monster!