from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To drop from a high place upon sharp stakes or hooks as a punishment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To drop from a high place upon sharp stakes or hooks, as the Turks dropped malefactors, by way of punishment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To put to death by letting fall from a height upon hooks or sharp stakes, or by hanging on a hook thrust between the ribs or through the pectoral muscles, as is or has been done with malefactors in Oriental countries.
- n. The punishment or torture of ganching.
- To make a snatch or snap at anything with open jaws, as a dog.
- n. A snatch at anything with open jaws; a bite.
Compare French ganche, also Spanish and Portuguese gancho hook, Italian gancio. (Wiktionary)