from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or state of being gigantic; abnormally large size.
- n. Excessive growth of the body or any of its parts, especially as a result of oversecretion of the growth hormone by the pituitary gland. Also called giantism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality or state of being gigantic; being of abnormally large size.
- n. A condition where there is over-production of growth hormone by the pituitary gland in a child before the bone growth plates close, resulting in excessive long bone growth, accompanied by muscular weakness and sexual impotence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, aberration from the normal standard by increase in size; monstrous stature.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. excessive largeness of stature
- n. excessive size; usually caused by excessive secretion of growth hormone from the pituitary gland
That would encourage financial gigantism, which is not good.
Evolutionary features typical of island faunas and floras, such as gigantism, dwarfism, and unusual ecological, physiological, and behavioral adaptations are also found in a range of species.
Typical island adaptations, such as gigantism and dwarfism, occur in genera that are found elsewhere in Africa.
"freaked out," because she didn't recognize Tanya. acromegaly, also known as gigantism, caused by a tumor in her brain that is pushing on her pituitary gland, causing it to produce an excess of growth hormone.
Dr Kuntner explained that the widely accepted theory was that evolutionary pressure was causing female "gigantism", with the females increasing in size in order to produce larger numbers of offspring.
The XIT was the largest cattle ranch in the world, and its size likely appealed to that pursuer of gigantism, Seton-Karr.
The Food and Drug Administration has already approved drugs that block growth hormone activity in humans to treat acromegaly, a condition related to gigantism.
Given the scale of the atrocity perpetrated by the terrorists and the fact that gigantism is in our national DNA—think Mount Rushmore, the World War II Memorial on the Mall and the Twin Towers themselves—this was never going to be a modest undertaking.
Topics I've researched include cave fungus, ocean liners, spinal muscular atrophy, gigantism in humans, and congenital illnesses.
The real beneficiaries of gigantism have been bank managers whose pay packages have soared alongside balance sheets.