from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- intransitive verb To make glad: synonym: please.
- intransitive verb To be glad.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To make glad or joyful; cheer; please.
- Synonyms To comfort, gratify, delight, rejoice, animate, en-liven
- To become glad; rejoice.
- noun A plant of the iris family, especially Iris fætidissima. See
- noun A glade.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To make glad; to cheer; to please; to gratify; to rejoice; to exhilarate.
- intransitive verb To be or become glad; to rejoice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb transitive To cause (something) to become more
- verb intransitive, archaic To become more glad in one's disposition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb become glad or happy
- verb make glad or happy
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
They only stuck the blonde chick in there just to gladden the old woodies in Jesusland.
His unabashed Eurocentrism would gladden George Will's wizened heart, but he hasn't yet outed himself as a flaming Italophile.
One of the things I like most about minestrone is its sheer bulk: it's really a big bowl of carb-based joy, with a hefty garnish of vegetables to gladden the heartstrings of health.
Over the next two years, the Rao government pushed through a collection of market-based reforms that would gladden the heart of any economic liberal.
His speech to Demos today on an open society – the product of more than a year's internal discussion – was one to gladden the left-liberal's heart.
If she wrote these stories to gladden others, it seems they could not quite touch her own heart, and that may be because she never received the serious critical acclaim she wanted.
In some ways this federal Europe would gladden the hearts of the founding fathers of European integration.
If it does happen, there will be for the very first time in Europe Conservatives and Unionists representing all four parts of the United Kingdom as a single grouping in Brussels - that's a fact which will surely gladden every true Unionist heart.
Cockerington Princess, champion of her own sex, also came to gladden our eyes, while the converting into stables of theretofore unused stone winery buildings went apace ....
Sometimes, people and institutions change, and get better, and produce surprising results that gladden the heart.