from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make or become sad.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make sad or unhappy.
- v. To become sad or unhappy.
- v. To darken a color during dyeing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To become, or be made, sad.
- transitive v. To render heavy or cohesive.
- transitive v. To make dull- or sad-colored, as cloth.
- transitive v. To make grave or serious; to make melancholy or sorrowful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To become heavy, compact, or firm; harden, as land or roads after a thaw or rain.
- To become sad or sorrowful.
- To make compact; make heavy or firm; harden.
- To make sad; depress; make gloomy or melancholy.
- To make dark-colored; specifically, in dyeing and calico-printing, to tone down or shade (the colors employed) by the application of certain agents, as salts of iron, copper, or bichromate of potash.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make unhappy
- v. come to feel sad
The question, to pick up the ball from the Israeli Football Association, is whether it should "sadden" us to see politics and sports so brazenly intertwined?
LONDON - Portuguese and Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has said that Manchester United's financial worries "sadden" him.
Man U's financial worries "sadden" Cristiano Ronaldo
Eating his lunch near the statue on Monday, resident Larry McNeely said it would "sadden" him if Big Boy's pillar were to be stripped bare.
It might sadden me, but it would not bother me in the way many description from these past few Volokh threads would have bothered me.
As an african Wast Indian (I am Black from Barbados and Married to an American) it sadden me to hear about those fathers who arent there but nothing about the many that are there.
CNN moderators sadden me because they removed my comment ... why?
I am sadden to share that Mr. Max Lucas, Saxophonist, Jazz Icon and an American treasure passed away on Saturday, May 15!
I am so sadden, because we have morals and convictions when it comes to family and marriage vows.
When I departed the disconnected effort that is Constellation a few years ago I was sadden by the fact that the people within the agency seemed to be focused on how do I get my 15 or what ever their next step was.