from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Dark; gloomy.
- adj. Dull or dark in color.
- adj. Melancholy; dismal: a somber mood.
- adj. Serious; grave.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Dark or dreary in character; joyless, and grim.
- adj. Dark, lacking color or brightness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Dull; dusky; somewhat dark; gloomy
- adj. Melancholy; sad; grave; depressing
- transitive v. To make somber, or dark; to make shady.
- n. Gloom; obscurity; duskiness; somberness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Dark; dull; dusky; gloomy: as, a somber hue; somber clouds.
- Dismal; melancholy; dull: opposed to cheerful.
- Synonyms Darksome, cloudy, murky.
- To make somber, dark, or gloomy; shade.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lacking brightness or color; dull
- adj. grave or even gloomy in character
Keeping his expression somber, he waited for the polite applause to die down.
His voice was warm, but his expression somber, and Riker feared Deanna was probably right about more bad news.
That was much the same thing Torre told players in what he described as a somber clubhouse once the Dodgers had filed in by mid-afternoon.
Kool J sighed and answered the question in somber fashion.
Hayward reiterated his decision to leave Butler at a May 7 news conference that was characterized by a somber tone.
While we remain somber and dazed by the unfortunate turn of events in the finance world, we will welcome applicants with open arms.
They placed a floating floral wreath on each and stood in somber silence.
As he watched Chase, his brother turned to him, his expression somber, thoughtful.
Rather than give much further elucidation of this plaintive essay written for Esquire in somber post-flapper days, this person has the facts and history.
Doe enlisted the great Neko Case to help out on one song, and Doe's love of Case's Blacklisted record is apparent: like that (amazing!) disc, Forever is heavy on moody reverb, doused in somber imagery and full of unexpected bursts of energy.