from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A woman who seeks money and expensive gifts from men.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who digs or mines for gold.
- n. A person (usually female and considerably younger) who cultivates a personal relationship in order to attain money.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman who associates with or marries a rich man in order to get valuables from him through gifts or a divorce settlement
- n. a miner who digs or pans for gold in a gold field
As the gold digger in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes—Hawks’s considerably reworked version of the Anita Loos play and musical—Marilyn consciously exploits the sex-bomb image that men, with their lascivious glances, have forced on her, and gets her revenge in spades ... or, rather, diamonds.
The two hilarious husband-hunting comedies, too, tweak both myths by conflating the bad girl and the good girl—the sexy gold digger and the girl with a heart—into the one and only Marilyn.