from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An adult female human.
- noun Women considered as a group; womankind.
- noun An adult female human belonging to a specified occupation, group, nationality, or other category. Often used in combination.
- noun A female servant or subordinate.
- noun A wife.
- noun A female lover or sweetheart.
- idiom ((one's) own woman) Independent in judgment or action.
- idiom (to a woman) Without exception.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Formerly, the side of a British penny on which was the figure of Britannia, the other having the king's head: as “man or woman?”—that is, heads or tails?
- To act the part of a woman: with an indefinite it.
- To cause to act like a woman; subdue to weakness like a woman.
- To unite to, or accompany by, a woman.
- To call (a person) “woman” in an abusive way.
- noun An adult female of the human race; figuratively, the female sex; human females collectively. See
- noun The qualities which characterize womanhood; tenderness; gentleness; also, when used of a man, effeminacy; weakness.
- noun A female attendant on a person of rank (used in such a connection as to show the special sense intended).
- noun A woman experienced in the ways of the world; a woman engrossed in society or fashionable life.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To act the part of a woman in; -- with indefinite
- transitive verb rare To make effeminate or womanish.
- transitive verb rare To furnish with, or unite to, a woman.
- noun An adult female person; a grown-up female person, as distinguished from a man or a child; sometimes, any female person.
- noun The female part of the human race; womankind.
- noun A female attendant or servant.
- noun one who hates women; one who has an aversion to the female sex; a misogynist.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An
adult female human.
- noun A
wife(sometimes a fianceor girlfriend)
- verb To
manwith female labor.
- verb transitive To make
- verb transitive To
furnishwith, or uniteto, a woman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a female person who plays a significant role (wife or mistress or girlfriend) in the life of a particular man
- noun a human female employed to do housework
- noun an adult female person (as opposed to a man)
- noun women as a class
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
In Tibetan both the methods of order and of true case relation may be employed: woman white (i.e., white woman) or white-of woman (i.e., woman of whiteness, woman who is white, white woman).
She forced her legs to move, creaking, one step at a time, thinking to herself: _The gypsy woman, the gypsy woman, the gypsy woman_ -- and trying to ignore the voices in her head that went on and on:
(_Enter a Greek woman with a bow_.) _Greek woman_.
One woman was shot through the face, but that was not worthy of notice, for she was only a _colored woman_; and in that, as in other slave States, the laws give to the white population the liberty to trample under foot the claims of all such persons to justice.
"Look here, my boy, I can do almost anything; but I would not wrong a woman, -- no, not a _woman_, -- I am above that," said Vernon, with much emphasis.
Indeed, to have entertained any would have been impossible -- but she could not bear to see him liked, admired, esteemed, by any woman -- mark me, I say by _any woman_; for no one could feel more triumphant joy than she did when she saw him duly appreciated by men.
(_Enter the first woman, with the clay peacock_.) _First woman_.
_Who_ came? i.e. _what man, what woman, what person; -- which man, woman_, or _person_, came?
"You ought to be ashamed of yourself -- a woman -- a _woman_ suggesting she doesn't want a baby!"
Thackeray, happily, lived at a time before the strong-minded woman had come into fashionat a time when it was generally received and believed that woman is not undeveloped man, but diverse.