from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A woman who is divorced or separated from her husband.
- noun A woman whose husband is temporarily absent.
- noun An abandoned mistress.
- noun The mother of a child born out of wedlock.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun An unmarried woman who has had a child.
- noun A wife temporarily separated from her husband, as while he is traveling or residing at a distance on account of business: also often applied to a divorced woman, or to a wife who has been abandoned by her husband.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a divorced woman or a woman who is separated from her husband
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Perhaps in allusion to a bed of grass or hay.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From grass + widow. Compare Dutch grasweduwe, Swedish gräsänka.
Sorry, no example sentences found.