from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fabulous beast with the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mythical beast having the body of a lion and the wings and head of an eagle.
- n. A person who has just arrived from Europe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An Anglo-Indian name for a person just arrived from Europe.
- n. A fabulous monster, half lion and half eagle. It is often represented in Grecian and Roman works of art.
- n. A representation of this creature as an heraldic charge.
- n. A species of large vulture (Gyps fulvus) found in the mountainous parts of Southern Europe, North Africa, and Asia Minor; -- called also gripe, and grype. It is supposed to be the “eagle” of the Bible. The bearded griffin is the lammergeir.
- n. An English early apple.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mythology, an imaginary animal supposed to be generated between the lion and the eagle, and to combine the head, front, and wings of an eagle with the body and hind quarters of a lion.
- n. In ornithology, a vulture of the genus Gyps; a griffin-vulture.
- n. Figuratively, a vigilant or repellent guardian; one who stands in the way of free approach or intercourse: in England applied especially to a woman acting as a duenna.
- n. In India and the East generally: A person not familiar with the customs or ways of the country; a new-comer; a novice; a greenhorn.
- n. A racing pony or horse that runs for its first time. Also griff, in both uses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. winged monster with the head of an eagle and the body of a lion
It's one of the big things I took away from the trailer, meaning that, for my money, I think the baby griffin is going to die horribly and leave that kid weeping, struggling to become an adult.
The griffin is also used by Saab, and other mythical beasts goaded into service on motor cars must include Alfa Romeo's serpent, Talbot's hunting dog and the Gilbern's Welsh dragon.
Interviewer: What do you think of when you hear the word griffin?
The griffin is also said to be feirce and untamed.
A formidable creature half lion and half eagle, the griffin is said to be one thousand times stronger than any lion and five thousand times as arsighted as an eagle.
Firkin & Gryphon - pronounced "griffin" - is expected to open in the fall, said Peter
Also, these lyrics were written by kevin griffin, lead singer of better than ezra, and I’m pretty sure he’s not in high school.
“One other thing: If anyone asks you what a griffin is, you must answer that a griffin is a mythical creature with the head of an eagle and the body of a lion.”
A griffin was a Eghting animal, almost as fierce as a dragon; unicorns did not normally seek combat with this species.
The dive-bombing of a griffin was a thing not even a dragon could afford to ignore.