from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards.
- n. A similar association, as of merchants or artisans, in medieval times.
- n. Ecology A group of diverse species, especially animal species, that occupy a common niche in a given community, characterized by exploitation of environmental resources in the same way.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group of tradespeople made up of merchants, craftspeople, or artisans, particularly in the Middle Ages
- n. A group of diverse species that share common characteristics or habits
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An association of men belonging to the same class, or engaged in kindred pursuits, formed for mutual aid and protection; a business fraternity or corporation. They were originally licensed by the government, and endowed with special privileges and authority.
- n. A guildhall.
- n. A religious association or society, organized for charitable purposes or for assistance in parish work.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An obsolete spelling of gild.
- etc. See gild, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a formal association of people with similar interests
It's hard to imagine, but maybe in this respect, the guild is actually doing right by the public at large.
LATER: Jay Rosen finds in this post by Jeff Bercovici the poster child of what he calls the guild mentality and what I call the clubbyness of journalism.
Look here if you know how to display your mini pets in guild wars so you can transfer to gw 2?
Oh, and I had an argument in guild chat about Han Solo and Greedo (Han shot first, you fools!), which is about as low as a nerd can sink.
Some bozo who asked in guild chat, in which we are only permitted to speak ic, So what the!
It requires a huge sacrifice to translate, and the subsuming of the individuals to the guild is fascinating and works well.
The character of the master (the creative writing teacher), as in the medieval guild, is an indispensable element.
The guild is self-governing, and masters theoretically have equal rights.
So the writing guild is rapidly eating into the rest of the humanities, and at the MFA level, it is very profitable too.
The goal of this guild is to foster an environment in which the general public can confidently and legally acquire and hold any numismatic item of historical interest regardless of date or place of origin.