from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Anatomy Hooked at the tip.
- n. A small, hook-shaped carpal bone of the wrist. Also called unciform.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Hooked at the tip.
- n. The hamate bone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Hooked; bent at the end into a hook; hamous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Hooked; entangled.
- In zoology, hooked; uncinate: same as hamulate.
- In botany, curved like a hook; hooked at the tip: said of hairs, spines, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the wrist bone in line with the 4th and 5th fingers
GRAHAM: Probably the most frequent acute injury we see in golf is when the ground is struck forcibly, there's a small prominence in the palm of your hand called the hamate bone.
But Norris, who missed several games, feels he rushed back, and the symptoms from the hamate surgery never fully went away until he arrived in the Instructional League.
At the end of spring training, he injured his left hand, which in the offseason had required surgery to remove a hamate bone.
OF Chris Dickerson, on learning after his surgery that several Reds players and coaches have undergone similar hamate procedures.
* Class A Potomac catcher Derek Norris, widely rated as the best position player prospect in the Nats system, is in extended spring training in Viera, Fla., rehabbing from lingering soreness after hamate bone surgery this offseason.
Norris had been receiving extensive at-bats in extending spring training in Viera, Fla., after recovering from soreness in his hand and wrist, a lingering complication from hamate bone surgery.
Potomac 8, Wilmington 0: Derek Norris made his season debut after missing the early portion of the season with soreness in his wrist, a consequence of offseason hamate surgery.
Norris had surgery to remove a broken hamate bone in his hand, and he experienced soreness at the end of spring training.
Espinosa will have the hook of hamate bone removed from his right hand Wednesday in Baltimore at the Curtis National Hand Center.
Preseason candidate to be first overall is back from broken hamate bone but power has been slow to return.