from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small Eurasian rodent of the subfamily Cricetinae, especially Mesocricetus auratus, having large cheek pouches and a short tail and often kept as a pet or used in laboratory research.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, short-tailed Euroasian rodent, Cricetus frumentarius, often kept as a pet. It is remarkable for having a pouch on each side of the jaw, under the skin, and for its migrations.
- n. Any of various Old-world rodent species belonging to the subfamily Cricetinae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small European rodent (Cricetus frumentarius). It is remarkable for having a pouch on each side of the jaw, under the skin, and for its migrations. Hamsters are commonly kept as a pets.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A murine or myomorphic rodent quadruped, of the family Muridœ and subfamily Cricetinæ, and of one of the genera Cricetus, Cricetomys, and Saccostomus.
- n. Some other pouched rodent, as of the genus Geomys, more or less resembling a hamster.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. short-tailed Old World burrowing rodent with large cheek pouches
That hamster is obsessed with danger a wee bit too much.
The case of the Syrian hamster is more complicated.
In the opposite corner, another hamster is backed up against the glass, feet kicking as he searches for an escape that Hamster already knows will not come.
Instead, the hamster is now in the snake's cage, as you'll see if you click on the link.
Uranyl acetate induces hprt mutations and uranium-DNA adducts in Chinese hamster ovaries.
The interaction between citalopram and Kv1. 5 expressed in Chinese hamster ovary cells was studied using the whole-cell patch-clamp technique.
Kedinger C, Simard R (1974) The alpha-amanitin on RNA synthesis in Chinese hamster ovary cells.
Montelukast demonstrated no evidence of mutagenic or clastogenic activity in the following assays: the microbial mutagenesis assay, the V-79 mammalian cell mutagenesis assay, the alkaline elution assay in rat hepatocytes, the chromosomal aberration assay in Chinese hamster ovary cells, and in the in vivo mouse bone marrow chromosomal aberration assay.
We have shown previously that AT1 receptor (AT1R) stimulation leads to diacylglycerol lipase-mediated transactivation of co-expressed CB1Rs in Chinese hamster ovary cells.
Reynolds JE, Yang T, Qian L, Jenkinson JD, Zhou P, et al. (1994) Mcl-1, a member of the Bcl-2 family, delays apoptosis induced by c-Myc overexpression in Chinese hamster ovary cells.