from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various small, mouselike rodents of the genus Gerbillus and other genera of the subfamily Gerbillinae, having long hind legs and a long tail and inhabiting arid regions of Africa and Asia.
- noun A Mongolian jird (Meriones unguiculatus) of the subfamily Gerbillinae, commonly domesticated and kept as a pet.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A book-name of any animal of the subfamily Gerbillinœ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) One of several species of small, jumping, murine burrowing rodents, of the genus Gerbillus and related genera of the subfamily
Gerbillinae. They have long soft pale fur and hind legs adapted for leaping. In their leaping powers they resemble the jerboa. They inhabit Africa, India, and Southern Europe.
- noun (Zoöl.) A rodent (
Meriones unguiculatus) of the subfamily Gerbillinaethat is commonly kept as a pet; it is also called the tamarisk gerbil, sand ratand jird. Its natural habitats are the dry regions of Northern Africa and Asia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun zoology One of several species of small, jumping,
murine rodents, of the genus Gerbillus. In their leaping powers they resemble the jerboa. They inhabit Africa, India, and Southern Europe.
- verb To
rotateinside a monowheelor similar apparatus due to sudden accelerationor braking.
- verb slang To
inserta small animal into the rectumof a person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun small Old World burrowing desert rodent with long soft pale fur and hind legs adapted for leaping
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
My cute pet gerbil is named after bat/dove decapitator Ozzy osbourne.
Claiming that serving in combat is a prerequisite for wise decision-making on the application of military force to international relations is like claiming that a gerbil is an expert on the economics pet stores.
More than anything, the gerbil is the frightened part of you that just wants to be loved.
I think you'll find that the gerbil is a guinea pig
I do think a lot of primary schools have tended to take the pleasure out of education and make kids think they are on a kind of gerbil wheel and that they have to run faster and faster to keep up.
I notice that the new troll, "gerbil", suggests that we "check the ingredients in our hair dye."
The reveal that the V's were not humanoid was done much better in the original ie the 'gerbil' scene.
"gerbil" ain't he? 'mused Sam through gritted teeth.
The levels below us are like some kind of gerbil maze from hell. "
Smooth, like a Rhapsody: ... what, Manju, no gerbil reference?