from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Cleft lip. No longer in scientific use.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A congenital malformation of the upper lip, reminiscent of the mouth of a hare.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lip, commonly the upper one, having a fissure of perpendicular division like that of a hare.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A congenital fissure or vertical division of the upper lip: so called from its supposed resemblance to the lip of a hare.
- n. The hare-lipped sucker, Quassilabia lacera, a catostomid fish remarkable for the conformation of the mouth, which suggests a harelip.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a congenital cleft in the middle of the upper lip
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The term harelip, used to describe facial clefts, arose from
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Away from home, kids taunted Deshante, called her harelip, physically abused her.
In the case of a partial or complete failure of the two sides of the face to come together in the median line, a deformity results which is known as harelip -- a partial or complete cleft of the upper lip.
Takuan said: "Cleft lip (cheiloschisis) and cleft palate (palatoschisis) (colloquially known as harelip), which ca ..." mdh said: "Klg19 - I would not support pointing this cannon towards a homeless shelter. ..."
Children in particular suffer a lot from the deformity, even if the insulting and discriminating term 'harelip' has fortunately almost died out.
Elsewhere in text it is spelled "harelip". (a hare lip.
RandomChaos (Lobbyist for Spews Corp) says: harelip = faceofajackrabbit?
As twisted as it seems I sort of think any woodeye/harelip reference ought to warrant a drink.
They had a patent and a prototype for a surgical device whereby, using a robot on one end, fiber optic cables in the middle and a console of instruments at the other extreme, a boy with a harelip in Mbarara could be operated on by a surgeon in his office in New York.
InMontanawe stayed at a seedy hotel inBillingsand listened to a country western singer with a harelip in a gaudy lounge downstairs.