from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A board or panel that forms the head, as of a bed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vertical panel, either plain or upholstered, attached to the head of a bed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A board or boarding which marks or forms the head of anything
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A board forming or placed at the head of anything, as of a cart, a grave, etc.; especially, the board which forms the head of a bedstead.
- n. pl. Naut., the berthing or close boarding between the head-rails.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vertical board or panel forming the head of a bedstead
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Above the headboard is a painting of a dead child (Frida was unable to bear children) and at the foot of the bed a photo assemblage of Stalin, Lenin, Marx, Engels and Mao (both Riveras flirted with communism).
i love the lightnings in headboard and the bathroom nearby.
A small panel in the wall next to the headboard was the intercom outlet.
A poster of an Italian soccer team was on the wall opposite her bed, and over the headboard was a hand-carved crucifix.
Esskay subscribed to the Manifest Destiny theory of sleeping space, and the headboard was her horizon.
On a nail near the headboard was a heavy ring with dozens of keys.
Above the headboard was a painting of a beautiful young woman in a garden setting feeding a parrot.
On the headboard is a woodcarving of a little girl's face.
The Club House bed, $799, has underbed storage and the headboard is a clubhouse with side doors for easy entrance and a fort with a trap door above.
But the big story here is the headboard, which is made of a blown-up floral pattern that is put on canvas and then on Masonite.