from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Robbery usually of travelers on or near a public road.
- noun Informal The exaction of an exorbitantly high price or fee.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Robbery committed on the public roads.
- noun An excessively high price or fee; -- used especially in situations where the buyer has little or no choice but to buy the item offered.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun literally, historical The act of
robbinga traveleron a public road.
- noun idiomatic Said of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun robbery of travellers on or near a public road
- noun an exorbitant price
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.