from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Judaism The sanctuary inside the tabernacle in the Temple of Jerusalem, in which the Ark of the Covenant was kept.
- noun Eastern Orthodox Church The bema or sanctuary in a church.
- noun A place of awe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Alternative spelling of
Holy of Holies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun (Judaism) sanctuary comprised of the innermost chamber of the Tabernacle in the temple of Solomon where the Ark of the Covenant was kept
- noun (figurative) something regarded as sacred or inviolable
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Translation of Late Latin sānctum sānctōrum (ultimately translation of Hebrew qōdeš haq-qodāšîm) : sānctum, neuter of sānctus, holy + sānctōrum, neuter genitive pl. of sānctus.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.