from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A bribe paid to keep something secret.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bribe to maintain secrecy (to prevent bad publicity or to prevent the discovery of a crime).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. money paid to secure silence, or to prevent the disclosure of facts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bribe to procure silence; money paid to prevent disclosure or exposure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bribe paid to someone to insure that something is kept secret
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.