from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Overlapping, like scales or roof-tiles; intertwined.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. overlapping or layered as scales or shingles; -- used especially of leaves or bracts.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Same as imbricate.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adj. used especially of leaves or bracts; overlapping or layered as scales or shingles


Participle adjective of imbricate. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Bractsome! What' a layover ( under wonder)!

    December 1, 2015

  • I thank you, gangerh, and my wife, famed for her pear tart, also thanks you.

    December 1, 2015

  • Very good, qms.

    November 30, 2015

  • The palate and eye are both sated
    By pastry so much celebrated.
    With passion and art
    Her famous pear tart
    Is meticulously imbricated.

    November 30, 2015

  • Thirty dollars' worth of dahlias--that was what the stranger had said. Theron hardly brought himself to credit the statement; but all the same it was apparent to even his uninformed eye that these huge, imbricated, flowering masses, with their extraordinary half-colors, must be unusual.

    - Harold Frederic, The Damnation of Theron Ware, ch. 25

    August 8, 2008