from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A naive, innocent girl or young woman.
- n. The role of an ingénue in a dramatic production.
- n. An actress playing such a role.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of ingenue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An ingenuous or naïve girl or young woman, or an actress representing such a person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ingenuous, artless girl or young woman; a woman or girl who displays innocent candor or simplicity; specifically, such a character represented on the stage, or the actress who plays it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an actress who specializes in playing the role of an artless innocent young girl
- n. an artless innocent young girl (especially as portrayed on the stage)
- n. the role of an innocent artless young woman in a play
French, feminine of ingénu, guileless, from Latin ingenuus, ingenuous; see ingenuous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)